Lunges are one of the popular lower body exercises.
It targets the quadriceps and the glutes most intensely, but also hits the hamstrings, calves and core. Some of the benefits of lunges are below,
1. Since it’s a Unilateral movement it allows better development of balance and stability.
2. The lunge technique forces you to stretch your hip flexor muscles, which are chronically tight for many individuals in today's increasingly sedentary world.
3. Improves glute activation.
4. Better core stability.
To do the lunge correctly:
- Always start with the torso straight and slightly lean forward so that your weight is driven through the heel of the front leg.
- Tighten your core and brace your abs
- Your torso should move straight up and down
- If your stride length is long you will be primarily working your hamstrings and glutes. If it is short you will be working your quads.
- Start initially with body weight lunges
- Slowly move towards dumbbell or barbell lunges.
Lunges are a very useful unilateral exercise that should a part of your workout routine.